Photo by Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
A few things confirmed and a few surprises.
We’ve been waiting to see what the 2020 iteration of the Syracuse Orange will look like and now we’ll get a glance, at least on paper. While Dino Babers initially stated that he wasn’t going to release a depth chart in his presser this morning, there seems to have been a chart making the rounds. We put together what we thought was going to happen last week, and it seems that was both accurate and way off, which sounds right.
Syracuse released a Week 1 depth chart for North Carolina. Jawhar Jordan & Markenzy Pierre listed as RBs 1 & 2.
Other notables: Chris Elmore LG1, Stefon Thompson SLB1, Garrett Williams CB1
Not listed: Abdul Adams, Jarveon Howard, Dakota Davis, Chris Bleich, Tyrell Richards pic.twitter.com/vFuMeo4QMO
— Stephen Bailey (@Stephen_Bailey1) September 7, 2020
Some of the surprises coming with this iteration:
- No Abdul Adams or Jarveon Howard, which puts Jawhar Jordan and Markenzy Pierre as the top two options at running back
- Anthony Queeley is listed as the other starting wide reciever, with Taj Harris and Nykeim Johnson. It looks like he is ahead of Ed Hendrix, and that Justin Barron is making it in the mix with the first team.
- On the line, Chris Elmore is your starting left guard, instead of Dakota Davis, who isn’t listed. Darius Tisdale is listed as the starting right guard, with Pat Davis as the backup on both sides. Not sure what happened that Rhino became LG1, but that’s a major change.
- No real changes to the expected up front, with Josh Black, McKinley Williams and Kingsley Jonathan.
- Mikel Jones is the starter at will linebacker, with Marlowe Wax behind him, no sign of Tyrell Richards.
- True freshman Stefon Thompson is listed ahead of Steve Linton at the Sam linebacker, which is a big move.
- In the secondary, it looks like Trill Williams is taking over the free safety role, with Eric Coley as the boundary safety and Andre Cisco at the rover position. As we talked about before, expect to see some fluidity at these positions, based on the look Tony White is going for.
- At the corners, with Trill moving inside, you have Ifeatu Melifonwu as expected and Garrett Williams taking over the other side.
Of note, as expected, Chris Bleich is not shown on the depth chart. The big names not showing up are Bleich, Adams, Howard, Richards and Dakota Davis. Whether those are injury scratches or otherwise are to be seen.