Plus, Efe Obada’s long, unpredictable path to the NFL.
In what will come as a surprise to practically no one, the Buffalo Bills announced on Wednesday that Josh Allen, their franchise quarterback who just signed a six-year, $258-million contract extension, will sit out the team’s preseason opener Friday against the Detroit Lions.
In today’s edition of the Bills links, we discuss how much playing time Buffalo’s other starters will receive in the team’s first game action of the 2021 season.
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills vs. Detroit Lions: Josh Allen officially declared out – Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills 2021 Preseason Week 1: Starters’ reps still undecided – Buffalo Rumblings
- The Bruce Exclusive: I’m out of my depth chart – Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills scouting reports in 90 days: linebacker Matt Milano – Buffalo Rumblings
- When could the next Buffalo Bills contract extensions happen? – Buffalo Rumblings
- Masks must be worn in enclosed areas at Highmark Stadium regardless of vaccination status – Buffalo Rumblings
- New downtown stadium would double cost of potential Buffalo Bills’ project, per report – Buffalo Rumblings
Additional Bills news from around the web
Josh Allen to sit out Week 1 of preseason
In advance of the team’s preseason opener, Josh Allen, Buffalo’s franchise quarterback who just signed a six-year contract extension, will not play at all vs. the Detroit Lions Friday night. How much action will the other starters see?
- Josh Allen won’t play in Buffalo’s preseason opener at Detroit – Democrat & Chronicle
- Josh Allen, some starters won’t play Friday in Detroit – WGR 550
- Josh Allen won’t play in Bills’ preseason opener against Detroit | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- How long will Bills, Lions starters play on Friday night in first preseason game? – newyorkupstate.com
Bills to require facemasks in enclosed spaces at Highmark Stadium
The Buffalo Bills announced Wednesday that, regardless of their vaccination status, fans attending home games will be required to wear masks when in indoor portions of Highmark Stadium and in the stadium concourses.
- Bills fans required to wear masks inside Highmark Stadium – WGR 550
- Bills reinstate mask requirements at indoor areas of Highmark Stadium | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Masks required indoors at Bills games until Erie County’s Covid-19 transmission rate goes down | News 4 Buffalo
- Buffalo Bills requiring masks regardless of vaccination status for indoor areas at Highmark Stadium – WKBW
- Team statement on the new indoor mask guidelines in Erie County – BuffaloBills.com
Recapping Day 12 of training camp
Slot cornerback Taron Johnson has to go up against wide receiver Cole Beasley every day in practice, and thanks to those sessions, Johnson said he has made great strides this training camp. Learn who else stood out from Wednesday’s practice session.
- Bills’ Cole Beasley making Taron Johnson better in training camp: ‘It’s a cheat code’ (Day 12 observations) – newyorkupstate.com
Buffalo Bills debut 2021 depth chart
Levi Wallace appears to be entrenched at CB2, while Harrison Phillips and Jake Fromm have their work cut out to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. What else stood out from the Bills’ first unofficial depth chart of the year?
- Buffalo Bills release depth chart | 6 thoughts on Levi Wallace, Jake Fromm, Harrison Phillips, more – newyorkupstate.com
Efe Obada’s unpredictable path to the NFL
Defensive end Efe Obada is trying to earn a roster spot on Buffalo’s loaded defensive line. It’s just the latest in a long line of challenges Obada has had to overcome on his journey to the NFL.
Mitchell Trubisky: “I’m enjoying being in Buffalo”
While the free-agent signee initially said he wanted to land with a team that offered him a chance to win the starting quarterback job, Mitchell Trubisky said he chose Buffalo because it represented a chance to continue to develop and progress as a player and a person.
- Mitchell Trubisky gives Bills peace of mind as Josh Allen’s backup – Democrat & Chronicle
- Trubisky: ‘Really nice to be a part of a great team’ – WGR 550
Odds and ends
Hear why one columnist feels Bills fans should try and enjoy every week of the upcoming season, get to know rookie wide receiver Marquez Stevenson and the unparalleled speed he brings to the Bills’ offense, see what Siran Neal is doing to carve out a larger role on Buffalo’s defense, learn how general manager Brandon Beane plans on using the preseason games to improve his roster, and more!
- Bulldog: Try to enjoy the ride – WGR 550
- Rookie Marquez Stevenson brings speed to Bills | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- ‘It’s his time’: Siran Neal showing Bills his value in camp as he tries to break into a consistent defensive role – The Athletic
- Bills GM Brandon Beane on roster upgrades: ‘We dig into everything’ | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Tommy Sweeney is eager for game action after missing the 2020 season – BuffaloBills.com
- NFL Network | Devin Singletary reveals ‘one of the biggest steps’ he wants to take in 2021 – BuffaloBills.com
- NFL Network | Tre’Davious White details his change from WR to CB at LSU – BuffaloBills.com