It appeared as though the Buffalo Bills were about to leave the desert on Sunday night with a win over the Arizona Cardinals. After giving up 17-straight points to the Cardinals and blowing a 23-9 lead in the second half to go down 26-23, Josh Allen connected with Stefon Diggs for a 21-yard touchdown with 34 seconds to play, putting Buffalo back in front, 30-26.
All of the Bills’ jubilation was erased just moments later, when Arizona’s Kyler Murray completed a 43-yard bomb to DeAndre Hopkins, who landed in the end zone with the ball with 0:02 left on the clock, to give the Cardinals the 32-30 victory.
Arizona got on the scoreboard on its opening drive with a 23-yard field goal from Zane Gonzalez. The Bills quickly answered with a touchdown drive of their own. Buffalo also scored in style, with Josh Allen handing the ball off to Isaiah McKenzie, only for the receiver to throw it back to Allen, and No. 17 ran it 12-yards to the end zone to give the Bills a 7-3 lead.
Allen completed 32 of 49 passes and threw for 284 yards, along with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Allen also scored Buffalo’s first touchdown of the game on a trick play in the first quarter when he with caught a pass from Isaiah McKenzie.
Cole Beasley put in a great performance for the Bills, finishing with a game-high 11 catches for 109 yards and a touchdown. Beasley caught a number of passes to move the chains on Buffalo’s final drive, including a one-handed grab by the sideline on third down.
Stefon Diggs caught double-digit passes as well, reeling-in 10 receptions for 93 yards to go with his touchdown.
The Buffalo defense did a good job limiting Arizona’s high-powered offense in the first half, holding them to three field goals despite the Cardinals getting inside the Bills’ 25-yard line on each of those drives. However, it was a totally different story in the second half, as a 17-point third quarter that featured a pair of rushing scores from Murray, pushed the Cardinals ahead going into the final frame.
Murray threw for 245 yards and completed 22 of 32 passes along with the winning touchdown. The second-year play-caller was intercepted by Jordan Poyer in the fourth quarter off a pass that bounced off the hands of Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald. After being contained by the Buffalo defense in the first two quarters, the pick by Poyer was really Murray’s only blemish in the whole second half.
Kenyan Drake rushed for 100 yards on 16 carries to lead all Cardinals. Arizona ran for 217 yards as a team, with Murray racking-up 61 of those himself. DeAndre Hopkins finished with a game-high 127 receiving yards on seven catches to go with his game-winning grab.
With the loss, the Bills snap a three-game win-streak and fall to 7-3. Buffalo now heads into the bye week holding just a 0.5-game lead over the Miami Dolphins, who improved to 6-3 with a 29-21 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday.
– 3-0 CARDINALS – Cardinals field goal (9:53) – Zane Gonzalez’s 23-yard field goal attempt is good
Drive info: 13 plays, 75 yards, 5:07
– 7-3 BILLS – Bills touchdown (6:23) – Isaiah McKenzie passes to Josh Allen (after receiving a handoff from Allen) for a 12-yard touchdown (Tyler Bass’ extra point attempt is good)
Drive info: 7 plays, 63 yards, 3:30
– 10-3 BILLS – Bills field goal (14:07) – Tyler Bass’ 54-yard field goal attempt is good
Drive info: 10 plays, 31 yards, 5:21
– 10-6 BILLS – Cardinals field goal (8:45) – Zane Gonzalez’s 42-yard field goal attempt is good
Drive info: 10 plays, 51 yards, 5:17
– 13-6 BILLS – Bills field goal (5:45) – Tyler Bass’ 55-yard field goal attempt is good
Drive info: 8 plays, 33 yards, 3:00
– 13-9 BILLS – Cardinals field goal (1:24) – Zane Gonzalez’s 21-yard field goal attempt is good
Drive info: 16 plays, 72 yards, 4:21
– 16-9 BILLS – Bills field goal (0:00) – Tyler Bass’ 58-yard field goal attempt is good
Drive info: 7 plays, 34 yards, 1:24
– 23-9 BILLS – Bills touchdown (9:52) – Josh Allen passes to Cole Beasley for a 22-yard touchdown (Tyler Bass’ extra point attempt is good)
Drive info: 3 plays, 37 yards, 1:35
– 23-16 BILLS – Cardinals touchdown (5:44) – Kyler Murray rushes for a one-yard touchdown (Zane Gonzalez’s extra point attempt is good)
Drive info: 9 plays, 75 yards, 4:08
– 23-19 BILLS – Cardinals field goal (3:05) – Zane Gonzalez’s 45-yard field goal attempt is good
Drive info: 4 plays, 3 yards, 1:30
– 26-23 CARDINALS – Cardinals touchdown (0:08) – Kyler Murray rushes for a 15-yard touchdown (Zane Gonzalez’s extra point attempt is good)
Drive info: 3 plays, 56 yards, 1:05
– 30-26 BILLS – Bills touchdown (0:34) – Josh Allen passes to Stefon Diggs for a 21-yard touchdown (Tyler Bass’ extra point attempt is good)
Drive info: 12 plays, 78 yards, 3:01
– 32-30 CARDINALS – Cardinals touchdown (0:02) – Kyler Murray passes to DeAndre Hopkins for a 43-yard touchdown (Arizona’s two-point conversion is no good)
Drive info: 4 plays, 75 yards, 0:32
The Bills will host the Los Angeles Chargers at Bills Stadium on Sunday, Nov. 29 following next weekend’s bye. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. EST. Be sure to hear all the action on WGR with John Murphy, Steve Tasker and Sal Capaccio on the call.