The back-and-forth in regard to getting fans into Bills Stadium for upcoming games has been nothing short of a roller coaster so far this week.
The latest news involves an urging from Erie County to get things figured out sooner rather than later. On Wednesday, county executive Mark Poloncarz has requested that New York State officials visit the venue by the end of the week to determine the safety of the facility in terms of COVID-19 precautions if fans are in attendance.
While the Buffalo Bills play their games there, the venue is owned by Erie County. So currently we have three different parties involved in making the decision to have fans back in the stands: the county, the state and the team.
So now, here’s how the story has gone this week:
- Monday: Report surfaces that says Erie County would approve 10% of seats filled. The Bills would reportedly request a little more than that, potentially 9,000 fans.
- Tuesday: The Bills released a statement that said for the “foreseeable future” fans will not be allowed at games. Many took this as New York State denying the request to have any fans following the Monday report.
- Wednesday: Gov. Andrew Cuomo says during a press conference that he plans to visit Bills Stadium with other health officials to “tour” potential safety protocols that would be put in place.
The urging that Cuomo visit Orchard Park by the end of the week is likely an effort to push a decision to be made in time for the team’s next home game on Oct. 15 against the Kansas City Chiefs. Making Bills Stadium coronavirus safe would take time.
As this week as gone, we’ll likely have… another update to come on this subject. Will Cuomo get to Bills Stadium in time for leadership on all fronts to make decisions and prep the stadium for the safe entry of fans?
Check back at Bills Wire, we’ll have the update for you as soon as it comes…